Hey yall! My daughter who happens to be in college just called to ask … “Mom … what do I need to take if I go to the beach?”
Cute, right? Send her to college and assume she is fully prepared to tackle the world on her own. Yet, she doesn’t know what we always take to the beach? ( I’m a terrible mom!!)
So, I decided to make a quick list of what we always take to the beach. My hope is that it will help all the unprepared beach-goers out there no matter their age.
Here goes …. 9 things you should never leave your house without if you are headed to the beach:
- Towel: Obviously. What would your dry off with if you didn’t have a towel. Right?
- Chair: A lot of people forego taking a chair. I however always take one or buy one there because I personally don’t like to lay directly in the sand. ( Call me a princess if you must!!)
- Sunscreen :You need to take care of your skin. It’s the only one you are going to get. Depending on how long you plan to be in the sun, you don’t want to end up a lobster. No pain, no gain does not apply here.
- Chapstick with sunscreen: Trust me when I recommend this. For some reason, the three things that get sunburned before anything else on your body is your forehead, nose, and lips. And people totally forget about their lips all the time.
- Mesh bag: You obviously need a bag to carry all this stuff I’m telling you to take. Having a mesh bag is great because most of the sand that accumulates on your stuff will fall out of the holes on the walk to the car. You won’t have a complete sandy disaster to clean up when you get home.
- Baby Powder: This is something not a lot of people even consider needing at the beach. Unless you enjoy the sandy, oily crust that builds up all over your body during a day in the sun, you will definitely start packing this from now on. Sprinkle a handful of baby powder and rub it all over your body where the sand is stuck. Its like magic …. the sand brushes right off. Just a clarification …. do not attempt this magic trick on wet skin!! You will end up looking like a fresh floured piece of chicken ready to fry. That’s not even cute. Lol.
- Flip Flops: You can substitute these with any kind of beach / water shoes. Just whatever you do, don’t try to spend an entire day at the beach with no shoes.
- Hat: You definitely want to take some kind of hat. It could be a baseball cap, big floppy sun hat, etc. Just make sure to take one. You will surely need it when the three most sunburnt places on your face can’t stand the sun beaming down on them for one …. more….second.
- Cooler with drinks: Certainly this is a given … if you are going out in the scorching sun you need hydration. Make sure you have a variety of options like water and Gatorade to offset anything that is not really helpful in the re-hydration department like soda, beer, or wine.
So that’s our family’s list of absolute must- haves to take to the beach. Of course, there are a ton of other things that you could add to the list depending on the amount of time you plan to be there and who is going. Tents are always good if you are spending aaallll day there. Beach toys and games are good for children and adults. Use your imagination for the extras. Technically, you could take everything including the kitchen sink. ( haha) Just always be sure to have the 9 essential must-haves!!
Do you and your family have a list of beach supplies that always get taken that maybe others haven’t thought about? Add a comment and let’s hear about it. I may need to change my go-to supplies.